ABOUT EXAMSOFT AND THE SOFTWARE
Who is ExamSoft?
ExamSoft Worldwide, Inc. is a software developer specializing in computerized assessment and assessment administration programs.
What is SofTest?
SofTest is a high stakes assessment program developed and licensed by ExamSoft that enables applicants to securely take examinations downloaded to their own laptop computers by blocking access to files, programs and the Internet during the exams.
How reliable is SofTest?
Over 20,000,000 exams have been successfully administered using SofTest. SofTest is used by over 40 State Supreme Courts for delivery of the Bar and Legal Specialization exams and at over 1,200 colleges and universities. SofTest has several safety features including saving students answer file each minute.
SIGNING UP AND REGISTERING
How do I sign up and register?
You will receive an email with specific instructions regarding downloading the SofTest software. If exam files are available to download during the registration process, SofTest will alert you and ask if you would like to download the exam files. If you do not download the exam files at that time, you can always download them after as long as the download deadline has not passed. Please visit our Support Portal (http://support.examsoft.com), or contact ExamSoft toll-free at (866) 429 8889 or +1.954.429.8889 if you have any questions or problems with the downloading of your examination files. Most exams are password protected and cannot be taken until the scheduled day, when the password is provided to you by your institution/proctor.
What is the Mock Exam?
The Mock Exam confirms your laptop is compatible with SofTest and enables users to familiarize themselves with how to open, write and upload answer files. The Mock Exam should be completed to ensure your computer is compatible with SofTest and that it has been configured properly. Do not wait until the last minute to try the software for the first time. If your laptop is not ready at the designated time, you must begin the examination by handwriting. No extra time will be allowed to ensure that a laptop is ready to be used.
Complete the Mock Exam to test your laptop. It is your responsibility to be familiar with how to use the software and to make sure your laptop is in good working condition. Once the Mock Exam is complete a visual “progress status” (blue bar) is displayed as the upload takes place. When the upload is complete, a “Congratulations” message is displayed on screen. An email confirmation is then sent to the email address provided when you registered. This confirmation email may take up to 15 minutes to be generated. Please keep in mind that once the Mock Exam is uploaded, you will not have access to the answer file(s) as they are encrypted.
For more information visit how to complete the Mock Exam.
Do I need the Internet for the Mock Exam?
Internet connectivity is only required to download the exam file and upload the answer file. No Internet connectivity is required while taking the Mock Exam or any other exams. Instructions for downloading additional copies of the Mock Exam, taking it and uploading the answer file may be found at http://support.examsoft.com.
What if I have technical problems or questions?
Begin by visiting ExamSoft’s Support Portal located at http://support.examsoft.com,. It provides advanced computer and software setup topics such How Anti-Spyware Can Affect SofTest, Common Errors and Troubleshooting, Downloading Software with a Firewall, and Administrator Rights. Technical support from ExamSoft will also be available to you via email at Support@examsoft.com or by phone M-F 7:30 AM - 8:30 PM EST, Sat 8:30 AM - 6:30 PM EST at (866) 429 8889, or +1.954.429.8889
How do I upload my answer file(s)?
Once you have exited the exam, SofTest will auto-upload your answer file(s). If you do not have internet access at this time, then SofTest will inform you that the upload has failed and you can either try to upload again or upload later. If you need to upload later, then when you get to an area with an internet connection, open SofTest and your answer file(s) will try to upload again.
How can I confirm ExamSoft has received my answer files?
Option 1: Open SofTest, click “Exam History” and enter your login information. This will display your Exam Download/Upload History on your Internet web browser. Note the Upload History may take up to 15 minutes to be refreshed with your confirmation.
Option 2: Visit the custom home page for your institution, www.examsoft.com/*** enter your login information on the Exam Taker page. Once logged in, click “Exam History” button. Note the Exam History page may take up to 15 minutes to be refreshed with your confirmation.
Option 3: Visit the custom home page for your institution, prior to taking your exam(s) ,www.examsoft.com/*** enter your login information on the Exam Taker page. Once logged in, click “Send Me A Text Msg” button. This will send you a confirmation that your answer file(s) have uploaded to your cell phone. Note your Upload confirmation may take up to 15 minutes to be generated.
Both options 1 & 2 will display the Exam Download/Upload History page, which is a detailed report of your account activity; it includes the date and time every exam is downloaded and uploaded. This page may take up to 15 minutes to be refreshed with your most recent upload(s). You may print a copy of this page if you need a confirmation of the upload.
What if I have a problem uploading my answers?
Contact ExamSoft Technical Support via email at email@example.com, or by phone toll- free at (866) 429 8889, or +1.954.429.8889
Steps to Install and Register SofTest
Establish an Internet connection, and logon to your custom home page ExamSoft website at: http://www.examsoft.com/ ****
- At the logon section marked as “Exam Takers,” enter your applicant ID and password.
- When you have entered the secure site, click “Download SofTest” to start downloading the software.
- In the box that appears on the page, click the link that says “Download SofTest Windows” to begin downloading.
- You may get another prompt to save the file. Simply click “Save” from this prompt, and select an area to save the file on your computer.
- When the download is complete, you should double click the file you downloaded from step 5.
- When the initial download completes, you may get a security warning message click “Run” on this prompt.
- A wizard will initiate, which will continue the installation process. Simply accept the default selections, and click “Next” throughout the installation wizard.
- When you reach the final part of the installation wizard, click “Finish” to exit the installation.
- When the installation is complete, SoftTest should automatically load.
- When SofTest has loaded, the registration window will appear. First enter your Institution ID and then enter your applicant ID and password as prompted. Your Institution and applicant ID is provided on the email you received from ExamSoft.
- Click either link below for more details on how to download/install Softest for your Operating System:
ExamSoft Tips and Best Practices
- Preferences- Prior to starting an exam, through the "Preferences" screen in the SofTest Start Window, you can set a timer to display a visible alert once your exam begins. This window can be "snoozed".
- Alarm - While in an exam, you can set a reminder alarm to appear at a specific time during your exam by accessing the "Alarm" tab on the side bar menu.
- Resize Window - To enlarge or shrink the window in which you view the question or the answer, drag the horizontal bar that appears between the question and answer areas of your screen up or down to suit your needs.
- Hide Exam - To block your SofTest window during an exam (i.e. during a restroom break), select Actions then "Hide Exam".
- Character Limit - Some essay questions may have a character limit. You can see the character count of any essay answer in the status bar at the bottom of the SofTest window. If a limit is imposed, it will be displayed in the lower left corner next to the question number.
- Word Count - SofTest provides a word count for essay answers under the “Stats” tab on the side bar menu. It includes: (1) Number of words in the current essay, (2) Number of words totaled for all essays, (3) If text is selected in the current essay, SofTest provides a word count for the selection and (4) Character count without spaces and hard-returns.
- Special characters - Special characters, such as § ¢ £ ¤ ¥ (c), are available through “Symbols” tab on the side bar menu. If you don't see any special characters in this line, then your computer may not have any appropriate fonts on it. Fonts exist on your computer as part of Windows, and are not part of SofTest.
- Spell Check - Certain features such as Spell Check, ability to print and whether SofTest locks your computer during the exam (i.e. secure mode), are controlled by the Test Sponsor (institution/school administering the exam).
- Cut, Copy & Paste – Cut, Copy and Paste for essay questions are controlled by the Test Sponsor (institution/school administering the exam). If enabled, as a safeguard against accidental deletions ExamSoft suggests using Copy & Paste rather than Cut & Paste.
- Flagging a Question - SofTest will allow you to flag questions so that you may return to them at a later time. Any questions that are flagged will display a "Flag" icon in the Navigation pane.
- Striking out an Answer Choice - When presented with a Multiple Choice question, you may strike out any distractors from the answer choices. To do so, click the "X" in line with the answer choice you wish to strike out. Doing so will gray out the answer choice, temporarily blocking the ability to select that choice as the answer. To undo this action, click the "X" again to make the answer choice available.
- Undo - SofTest can undo up to the last 50 actions in each essay response question.
- Exam Backup - SofTest maintains several encrypted copies of your exam on your hard drive. If your computer crashes during an exam, you can restart it and SofTest will automatically select the most current version of your exam from your hard disk.
- Auto Save - SofTest saves your work automatically every 60 seconds.
- Set Your Computer Clock – Make certain your computers system clock is accurate (date and time).
- You can toggle (switch) between questions using the blue navigation arrows.
- You can mark questions to remind you to revisit them. The “Navigation” tab on the side bar menu displays a list of all questions.
- You can view unanswered questions and also navigate to another question by clicking on the question number in the “Navigation” tab.
Additional Helpful ExamSoft Links
How Do I Update SofTest to the Latest Version: Click Here!