Lab Management Systems are applications that institutions use to manage lab computers and restore installations to original configurations. ExamSoft currently supports many Lab Management Systems if they can set a Persistent Storage Path.
A locally partitioned drive needs to be created on each of the lab computers to serve as a persistent Alternate Storage Path. This will allow Examplify to retain its working and backup files without losing any data in the event of a mid-exam computer restart.
1. Create a Persistent Storage Path - First, a persistent storage path needs to be created for Examplify to write its working and backup files. This is a separate partitioned space on the computer's hard drive disk. The Customer Success Specialist of your institution needs to be informed which path is intended for the Persistent Storage. The Customer Success Specialist will use this information to configure Examplify to save information to this path by default.
Note, the Persistent Storage Path must be partitioned on the computer's hard drive disk. If the Persistent Storage is set on a network drive, Examplify will not write to it.
2. Install Examplify - The next step is to install Examplify in your lab environment. To do this, launch the Examplify.exe file (or Examplify.dmg), and follow the on-screen instructions of the installation package. The Customer Success Specialist of your institution can provide you a direct link to the installation package. Note, if you already have Examplify installed on the computer, you will need to unregister it. This is accomplished by navigating: Home Menu -> Settings -> Clear Registration.
3. Registering Examplify - Examplify needs to be registered with a Lab Exam Taker account. Follow the on-screen instructions and enter your Institution's ID. Click Next. For information regarding creating a Lab Exam Taker, please refer to our Exam Taker Management guide
4. On the next screen, enter the ID and Password for the Lab Exam Taker.
5. Remember Institution - On this screen, you can set Examplify to remember the Institution ID. If your lab will be shared between multiple institutions, we recommend not remembering the Institution ID.
6. Alternate Storage Path - After Examplify has been successfully registered, you will need to set the Alternate Storage Path destination. This path will always be the Persistent Storage Path that was created earlier. This is the same path that you'd provided to your Customer Success Specialist or Implementation Consultant.
Once the correct path is selected, click Save to finalize these changes. Note, if the specified path is incorrect, use the Browse button, and select the correct top-level destination.
7. Finalizing the Installation & Testing - After the Persistent Storage Path is selected, the registration process is complete. In order to test the installation, first download and begin a mock exam with at least one essay question. Type content into the essay question, wait approximately three minutes, and force-shutdown the machine using the power button (simulating a crash). Restart the machine, and if Examplify returns you to the exam with saved content, you will know that the persistent storage path is working properly.
This machine will now need to be rebooted into a frozen state. Afterwards, Exam Takers can begin to log into the machine and take exams. All Examplify working files will be retained.